Webinar: What it is, how it works and how to do one
A webinar is an online conference, workshop, course, or presentation that is broadcast live or on-demand over the Internet. A webinar allows participants to interact with the presenter or panelists, whether via chat, audio or video.
A webinar can also include surveys, quizzes, downloadable resources, and other multimedia elements.
What is a Webinar for?
A webinar serves various purposes, such as:
- Educate or train an audience on a specific topic.
- Generate interest orleads for a product or service.
- Demonstrate the operation or benefits of a solution.
- Share experiences, opinions or advice with other experts or professionals.
- Encourage the participation and commitment of a community.
Advantages of holding a webinar
Some of the advantages of holding a webinar are:
- It allows you to reach a wide and diverse audience, without geographical or time limitations.
- Reduces the costs and time of organization, transportation and accommodation involved in in-person events.
- It facilitates the measurement of impact and return on investment, through the analysis of data such as the number of attendees, length of stay, level of satisfaction, etc.
- Increases the credibility and authority of the presenter or brand by showing their knowledge and experience on the topic.
- It stimulates interaction and feedback from participants, which allows them to know their needs, doubts and opinions.
Disadvantages of a webinar
Some of the disadvantages of holding a webinar are:
- It requires a good internet connection and adequate technical equipment, both for the presenter and the attendees.
- It can generate distractions or attention problems, due to the lack of eye contact or the presence of other stimuli in the environment.
- It can make it difficult to establish deeper personal or professional relationships by limiting networking or socializing opportunities.
- It may present technical or logistical problems, such as failures in audio, video, platform or access to the webinar.
Features of a webinar
Some of the characteristics that define a webinar are:
- It is an online event that is held through a specialized platform that allows live or on-demand streaming.
- It has a variable duration, depending on the type and objective of the webinar, but generally does not exceed 60 minutes.
- It has a dynamic and participatory format, which combines the presentation of the presenter with the intervention of the attendees.
- It has relevant and quality content, which provides value and useful information to the audience.
- You have a promotion and outreach strategy, which includes creating a registration page, sending emails, using social media and other channels.
What is the difference between zoom and Webinar?
Zoom is a video conferencing application that allows you to hold virtual meetings with several people at the same time. Zoom also offers the option to create webinars, but with some differences from normal meetings. Some of these differences are:
- In a Zoom webinar, only the presenter and panelists can share their audio and video. Attendees can only see and hear what is broadcast.
- In a Zoom webinar, attendees can interact with the presenter and panelists through chat, Q&A, or polls. They cannot talk or see each other.
- In a Zoom webinar, a specific license is required to create and manage the event. Attendees do not need to have an account or download the app.
5 webinar formats that work
There are different webinar formats that can be adapted depending on the objective, audience and topic of the event. Some of the most popular and effective formats are:
- Expert panel : It consists of bringing together several specialists on a topic to share their points of view, experiences and advice. This format generates credibility, diversity and debate.
- Interview : It consists of asking a series of questions to a guest who has outstanding knowledge or experience on the subject. This format generates interest, curiosity and learning.
- Instructional : It involves teaching the audience how to do something step by step, whether it is a skill, a technique, or a tool. This format generates value, usefulness and trust.
- Product demonstration : It consists of showing the operation or benefits of a product or service, either through a presentation, a video or a test. This format generates attraction, desire and conversion.
- Case study : It consists of presenting a real example of how a problem has been solved or a result has been achieved with the use of a product, service or methodology. This format generates proof, inspiration and action.
5 Tools to make webinars
To hold a webinar you need to have a tool or platform that allows the creation, transmission and management of the event. Some of the most popular and recommended tools are:
- Zoom : It is a video conferencing application that offers the option to create webinars with up to 100 panelists and 10,000 attendees. It has features like chat, Q&A, surveys, registration, analytics, etc.
- WebinarJam : It is a platform specialized in webinars that allows you to create events with up to 6 presenters and 5,000 attendees. It has features like screen sharing, live chat, offers, integrations, etc.
- GoToWebinar : It is a leading webinar platform that allows you to create events with up to 6 panelists and 3,000 attendees. It has features like recording, automation, tracking, customization, etc.
- Demio : It is a simple and elegant platform for webinars that allows you to create events with up to 15 presenters and 1,000 attendees. It has features like real-time interaction, HD playback, branding, etc.
- Livestorm : It is a modern and versatile platform for webinars that allows you to create events with up to 6 presenters and 1,000 attendees. It has functions such as live streaming, landing pages, email marketing, etc.
How to create a successful webinar?
To create a successful webinar, a series of steps must be followed to ensure the quality and impact of the event. Some of these steps are:
- Define the objective and audience of the webinar : You must be clear about what you want to achieve with the webinar and who it is aimed at.
- Choose the topic and format of the webinar : You should choose a topic that is relevant, interesting and useful to the audience and a format that adapts to the content and objective.
- Select the presenter or panelists for the webinar : People who have knowledge, experience and charisma should be chosen to convey the message of the webinar.
- Choose the tool or platform for the webinar : A tool must be chosen that meets the technical, functional and aesthetic requirements of the webinar.
- Prepare the content and materials of the webinar : A script or structure of the webinar must be prepared, as well as the visual, auditory or downloadable resources that will be used.
- Promote and disseminate the webinar : A marketing strategy must be designed to attract and register the audience for the webinar, through channels such as email, social networks, blog, etc.
- Conduct the webinar : The webinar must be executed following the script or established structure, taking care of the quality of the audio and video, interacting with the attendees and resolving their doubts.
- Evaluate and monitor the webinar : The performance and result of the webinar must be analyzed, using indicators such as attendance, participation, satisfaction, etc. A thank you email should be sent to attendees, with a link to the recorded webinar, an opinion survey, and an offer or call to action.
Here are some frequently asked questions that may arise about webinars and their answers.
How long does a webinar usually last?
There is no set rule on the length of a webinar, but it is recommended that it not be too long or too short. An average time can be between 30 and 60 minutes, depending on the topic, format and objective of the webinar.
The important thing is to maintain the interest and attention of the audience throughout the event.
How do I enter a webinar
To enter a webinar you need to have an access link that is sent by email when registering for the event. Clicking the link opens a browser or application window of the webinar platform, where you can view and listen to the webinar.
Some platforms may require downloading software or an extension to access the webinar.
Can I ask questions during a webinar?
Yes, you can ask questions during a webinar, as long as the presenter or platform allows it. Normally, there is a chat or question and answer section where you can write any questions or comments you have about the topic.
The presenter or panelists can answer questions live or at the end of the webinar.
What is the cost of webinars?
The cost of webinars can vary depending on the type, quality and platform of the event. Some webinars are free and others are paid .
Free webinars are typically for educational or informational purposes, while paid webinars are typically for commercial or professional purposes. The price of paid webinars may depend on the value of the content, the number of attendees, the duration, etc.
What is an on-demand webinar
An on-demand webinar is a webinar that can be viewed at any time and from any device, without having to be present at the time of the live broadcast. An on-demand webinar is recorded and hosted on a platform that allows unlimited access to the content.
An on-demand webinar can have some advantages such as flexibility, convenience, and replayability.
Written by Moises Hamui Abadi : I am an entrepreneur, founding partner of Viceversa and SoyMacho. After leading several digital businesses and advising several other businesses; I decided to form MHA Consulting, a digital marketing consultancy dedicated to growing and enhancing digital businesses in more than 7 countries and generating more than 1,500 million pesos.
If you want more information on this topic or are looking for other options to profile your ideal client, at MHA you will find the solution you need. Schedule a call.