What is interlinking and its weight in SEO
Have you noticed that when you read an article on a website, it links to other articles on the same page?
This is a fairly common practice among websites looking to create digital content for traffic generation and conversions.
This resource (and technique) is known as Interlinking or Internal Links .
It is one of the most common practices in building websites. If you want to learn more about Interlinking, we recommend you keep an eye on the article we have for you.
We are sure that you will learn everything you need to do a quality Interlinking.
What is Interlinking?
Interlinking is the practice and process in which our content links to other material on our website that is related to it. These links are usually placed throughout the text on key words or phrases for the topic of the article.
They usually differ from the rest of the text because they are of another color, thickness or underlined.
When a user is reading the article, Interlinking can direct them to another article within the website so that they can complement their reading and understanding of the subject.
Although it is advisable to create links between articles on the website itself (since that is what Interlinking is all about), if necessary, external links can be created to other sites .
This last resource is usually used when the creator wants to justify his content with studies or official statistics that he does not have.
There are different proven benefits from a proper practice of Interlinking. The most relevant advantages of this technique are the following:
- Reduces the bounce rate on websites.
- Increase the number of page views per user.
- Increases the average duration of the visit to the website by the user.
- Raises the ranking of a certain keyword.
- Allows Google to better crawl our website .
Types of Interlinking
As mentioned above, the practice of Interlinking helps to generate various positive effects for the positioning of a website, but how does it do it?
To answer this question, it is convenient to review the main — and most popular — types of Interlinking:
These are internal links that are presented throughout the context of your content, which can be located in words or phrases.
This type of internal link favors a complete understanding of the topic you are addressing. It can be used at any time, although you must be careful not to abuse this resource.
Surprise or not, menu bars are also a form of Interlinking. This is because you can easily direct users to other sites of interest within the web page.
Interlinking in Images
It is similar to Contextual Interlinking, the variation here is that images or your preferred visual resource will be used so that when the user clicks, they can be redirected to another window within your own website.
Have you ever searched for an item on sites like MercadoLibre or Walmart? Then surely you have come across the famous breadcrumbs or breadcrumbs; a somewhat curious name.
In Hansel and Gretel, the brothers leave breadcrumbs so they don't get lost in the woods; Something like that happens with this form of Interlinking.
Breadcrumbs are a technique that helps to return (from back to front and vice versa) the users of a website. This process is only viable for those sites that have several categories.
For example, if you're looking for a cat winter coat (yes, it exists) at Walmart, the breadcrumbs, which is usually on the top left, would look something like this:
Home > Pets > Cats > Clothing > Winter Coats for Cats
Depending on the website, until the end of the body of the text or content, there will be posts related to the category of the article itself. These elements also work as a good Interlinking.
Finally, and not least, is the Footer. It is found on most of the websites.
It is a bar that is located at the end of the website where the privacy and cookie policies can be found, as well as external links to the social networks of the organization or company.
Effects of Interlinking on SEO
Interlinking and SEO have a synergistic essence under which they build much stronger websites, since a distribution of authority is generated between all corners of the site.
The main effect that this technique has on SEO is that it reaffirms the optimization of the content and the way in which the material offered by the page in question is experienced.
To achieve quality within Interlinking, it is necessary to know how to manage it in an ideal way so as not to abuse this experience.
How to make a good Interlinking?
Next, we will present the best tips to make an excellent quality Interlinking. Take note of all and make your next internal link.
- Avoid using too many internal and external links. Although it seems ideal to Google that you use them, using them too much can cause problems. As such, the search engine cannot limit you to using the internal or external links that you want, however, this will be reflected in the positioning that you are awarded. As a recommendation, try to use no more than 6 internal links, as well as no more than 4 external links, if you need them.
- Evaluate the need for an internal link. There will be spaces and moments in which it is ideal to use Interlinking, but there will also be cases in which you should not force these links. Evaluate your content and decide if it is necessary.
- Try to link pages that are related. In addition to the previous point, it is important that if you want to link two pages, they do comply with a certain logic and coherence.
- Do not include unavailable pages. It is necessary that the linked pages are verified, this in order that they are not sites that have display errors or do not exist.
- Optimize internal links. If at any time you intend to review and maintain the sites on your website, start with those that are linked to others. This will help you quickly optimize your entire website.
Interlinking is a really important practice to be able to nurture the SEO process. Without this technique, it would not be possible to enhance the quality of each material that is hosted on our website. However, it is necessary to apply it carefully, so that the search engine does not underestimate the value of our material.
Written by Moises Hamui Abadi : I am an entrepreneur, founding partner of Viceversa and SoyMacho. After being in charge of several digital businesses and advising several other businesses; I decided to form MHA Consulting, a digital marketing consultancy dedicated to growing and empowering digital businesses in more than 7 countries and generating more than 1,500 million pesos.
Schedule a call with MHA and let us advise you so you can achieve your sales goals.