What is structured data and how it helps SEO
Structured data is a composite of organized data that has its structures in the hypertext markup language , better known as HTML. We know that talking about HTML can be very normal or very complicated for some users.
However, it must be taken into account that appropriating the use of HTML structures is taking a giant step within structured data, since this organized and labeled information will allow search engines to interpret the encoded content and present it without delay. No delays to the end user .
Using structured data adds additional context to search engines about the type of information found on a web page. In other words, it allows search engines to better take ownership of the content and identify what kind of material it is.
Starting from this, it will be easier to position the content based on its relevance.
How does structured data work?
It may seem difficult to understand how this data works, but in reality it is quite the opposite. Structured data naturally starts from using an HTML language. Within this language, and following the communication patterns of the human being, there must be vocabulary and syntax.
In order to have an effective vocabulary, it is important to choose the correct one, among which are:
Typically, the standardized Schema Markup format is preferred, as Schema Markup uses predefined tags and attributes to describe various types of information. In addition, it is a universal vocabulary that has been founded and adopted by Google, Bing, Yahoo! among other sites.
Now, after choosing the vocabulary with which we will work with the structured data, it is necessary to choose the type of syntax, which is nothing more than the set of rules that will maintain the order within the structure. In this sense, we also have three options to choose from:
By understanding the relationship of these elements, and putting them into practice, search engines can improve the way information is presented on their sites. This can be translated into:
- Show your information in Rich Snippets.
- Show reviews or ratings.
- Featured images.
- Helpful site preview.
- Attractive presentation of the content.
As you may have noticed, there are different ways to work with structured data. It's just a matter of choosing your media and learning how to build structured data little by little.
Advantages of using structured data
One of the main benefits of structured data is that it improves the visibility and performance of content in search engines. It is worth mentioning that there are other benefits that arise from the use of structured data, such as:
- Efficient indexing. Structured data allows search engines to understand the structure and content of a website, making it easy for it to appear in the top results quickly.
- Creation of Rich Snippets. Also known as Rich Snippets, they are those boxes that show —first-hand and without the need to enter the website— specific information about what is being searched for on Google. Structured data is important for the consolidation of a website, since it grants relevance, usefulness and quality.
- Adaptability to technologies. The structured data remains valid even in the various mobile devices and their functions, such as: voice search or image reading. It is a practice that allows the constant updating of the contents.
- Improve the user experience. Eventually the customer experience improves exponentially while using structured data. A clear example is that of the Rich Snippets. Likewise, starting to use this type of structure will allow us to meet the needs, desires and other demands of customers.
How does structured data help SEO?
Structured data favors the maximization of SEO content. At first, these can be placed in the first search engine results as long as their structured data particularly meets what the algorithm demands.
If you want to know other types of benefits of structured data on SEO practices, here we present 10 of them.
- Raises the relevance of the content for the different search engines.
- It helps generate various Featured Snippets and Rich Snippets.
- They improve the confidence of users when leaving additional information, such as: products, ratings, reviews, comments, among others.
- They facilitate the search and navigation within the website. This is accomplished by organizing and labeling information in a structured way.
- They increase organic website traffic .
- Improves visibility within the search engine.
- Facilitates the work of indexing and crawling websites.
- Improve the user experience by displaying relevant information in the SERPS.
- It allows you to implement other types of more advanced SEO strategies.
Structured data allows to promote actions within the SEO practice. Sometimes it is better to work from structured data, since the freedom it possesses allows you to meet these and other objectives.
Structured data is an unparalleled tool and function within SEO practices. Although it is difficult for some people to adapt to the use of this language, the benefits are unmatched.
Start implementing structured data on your website and its content today and reap the benefits.
Written by Moises Hamui Abadi : I am an entrepreneur, founding partner of Viceversa and SoyMacho. After being in charge of several digital businesses and advising several other businesses; I decided to form MHA Consulting, a digital marketing consultancy dedicated to growing and empowering digital businesses in more than 7 countries and generating more than 1,500 million pesos.
If you want more information on this topic or you are looking for other options to profile your ideal client, at MHA you will find the solution you need. Schedule a call.