Do you have a blog? Do this to improve your SEO positioning
The best way to position a blog is to generate articles or notes with original, relevant and current content for your target audience. For these circumstances we recommend following SEO actions focused on content, however there are technical actions to consider.
But first of all, let's remember basic fundamentals:
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, which means search engine optimization. This method is free, that is, you do not pay to obtain a position within the ranking and it is long-term. It is done through optimization techniques that are done on a web page so that it is visible in search engines and users can find the website.
SEO is essential to achieve:
- Quality organic traffic to our blog
- Visibility and diffusion in search engines
- Improve the Positioning of the page through the generated user queries
- User interaction with the content to generate conversions (leads)
- Brand presence
The elements to focus on for the positioning of the blog originate from the theme, that is, what topic we are going to write about:
Choosing a theme based on keywords that are trending or are relevant to the business or brand segment is essential.
TIP: A tool that can guide you to know what to write about is Google Trends , this free tool from the Google search engine and helps us identify topics or words related to the blog's niche market.
*We recommend adding an image/video as a visual break from the text.
Elements involved for SEO positioning
After the theme, we must focus on more technical elements to evaluate the SEO positioning of the blog, these elements lie in the following list:
- website architecture
- Images and/or Videos
- Internal Links
- site speed
Each one has its own elements that represent a link to guarantee an ideal positioning, where if we do it properly as a whole it will represent an increase in organic metrics. Next, we will briefly review each element, emphasizing a content-oriented element:
It represents how our blog is structured, organized and distributed. It specifically influences:
- Directories: Categories and subcategories
- friendly urls
- internal links
One of the elements that is related to the content is the “URL”. To make a Friendly URL we need:
- relevant keywords. To know what keywords to use, we suggest you think about how you would search for your own content on the Internet?
- lower case
- Hyphens to separate the keywords. *This is because if you use underscores, the search engine robot interprets the keywords as one.
- An extension that is between a range of 90 to 115 characters.
- Keyword stuffing: Repeating the same word several times
- Stop Keywords: empty words or words that do not have a search level such as prepositions, articles, etc.
- Capital letters
- Special characters and tildes
- repeated routes
The metadata gives us visibility in the results pages before the user's queries. It is the most important part of how to attract the user to the website, that is, the first impression they have of the site, where they decide if they should click. To do this, you need to draw their attention:
Therefore, we will focus on two main elements:
- title link
The Title link is the title of a search engine result that links to a web page.
It involves elements such as:
- Meta title.
- h1 header.
To optimize the meta title we recommend:
- Extension: From 55 to 60 characters .
- Include keywords.
- Add the name of the site or brand.
With the above we can guarantee better performance for the meta title, so we will put an example:
Optimized title: Optimize your blog to improve your SEO positioning | MHA Consulting
- Extension: 59 characters .
- Keywords: SEO positioning
- Site Name: MHA Consulting
*The optimization of the h1 header, we will see it later in the headers section.
The meta description is a short description of the content of the page. In some cases it can be used as a rich snippet (a rich snippet is a special field with more attractive elements and a privileged position shown in the SERPs).
The elements to be evaluated are:
- Length: From 156 to 160 characters is approximately equal to 32 words.
- Value Attribute: some data or word that differentiates them from the competition in SERPS.
With the above we can guarantee better performance for the meta description, so we will put an example:
Optimized description: Learn how to optimize your blog with SEO elements with this practical guide. Where we also give you tips with tools that will help you do it.
- Extension: 151
- Main Keyword at the beginning of the meta description: how to optimize your blog with SEO elements
- Keywords by semantics or long tail: SEO, guide, tips, tools.
- Value Attribute: tips with tools.
TIP: To view the metadata as it would be reflected in the search engine, we recommend using Higher Visibility , which helps you measure the length of the url, title and description in pixels.
As we mentioned at the beginning, the content is the king of blog optimization, an extensive content that clarifies and reports all the user's doubts regarding the subject, is an instant plus for the search engine robot and therefore for the interest of the Internet user. .
To create quality content we recommend following the following:
- Extension: From 300 words onwards depending on the topic and the complexity of the content.
- Headers: Remember that the headers serve as a hierarchy for the content and the search engine robot indicates the length of the note.
-They must have an extension of less than 70 characters and their structure is similar to the following:
- <H1>Title of the note or article</H1>
-There is only one h1
-It's the main theme.
- <H3>Structure of the note to be highlighted</H3>
- Bold: Main keywords and by semantics highlighted once.
- Italics: Neologisms, Anglicisms, etc.
- “Underlined”: Quotations or book titles with quotation marks.
- Main keyword at the beginning of the paragraph.
- Sense of Information according to the inverted pyramid. From most to least relevant.
- Answers questions: who?, what?, when?, why? and how? - Basic idea of the content.
Second Paragraph onwards
- Keywords by semantics from the 2nd paragraph onwards, synonyms of the main keywords can be used.
- Second paragraph: Development of the first paragraph, provides details and broad aspects.
- Third Paragraph onwards: Data is provided in descending order of importance.
- Last Paragraph: Finish with secondary idea.
TIP: For the creation of content on a specific topic, we recommend you avoid:
- Auto-generated content (which does not make sense to the reader, but contains keywords, translated texts without manual review, copy paste from one or several sites)
- worthless content
- Cloaking - Content hidden from users but visible to the robot.
*We recommend adding an image/video as a visual break from the text.
Images and/or Videos
Adding multimedia, in this case images or videos favor user interaction, causing them to stay longer on the page.
For this, the images and videos must meet certain standards, in this case they are:
- File name: Same optimization as the URL.
- Weight: Image weighing less than 100 KB, in video it is recommended that it be an embed to avoid slowing down the site.
- Title, description and/or legend: It is recommended to use keywords referring to the image in relation to the content where it is being placed.
There is an image-focused element known as an alt attribute. The alt attribute improves accessibility for people with visual disabilities, in turn, in case the image is broken within the content, the description of the image appears as text.
For the alt attribute, it is recommended to use keywords that describe said image, in terms of its extension that does not exceed 100 characters.
Internal links have a primary function, it is to help the search engine robot to find more pages related to the content within the website to add them to its index.
If a page does not have internal links it is known as an orphan page and therefore the search engine robot ignores its presence, therefore it is not added to the search engine index.
It is recommended that for every three paragraphs of content a link be added.
Said link must:
- Be active, that is, with a 2xx status, which means that it is available and in good communication with the site's server.
- The anchor text or also called anchor text must be consistent with the content of the link.
- The link must contain DOFOLLOW, the reason is to convey your authority around the pages of the site.
It is recommended not to hide links to manipulate the ranking.
Site speed is a huge ranking factor, having a slow site causes a bad user experience. The user searches for immediate content that satisfies his need at that moment.
Therefore, the site must improve its speed so that your experience is optimal. We recommend performance tools that help provide guidance on critical elements that affect your performance.
It is a free tool from the Google search engine that includes data from the Chrome User Experience (CrUX) report to show information about the actual performance of the pages.
It is based on loads:
- Good: Most performance best practices apply to that page. Has a score of 80 or higher.
- Medium: This page is missing several common performance optimizations. It has a score between 60 and 79.
- Low: That page is not optimized. It has a score between 0 and 59.
It is a demo tool that performs website analysis in a detailed way, which allows us to fully understand the blog upload process. It indicates the download time of each element involved in the site such as CSS, JS, HTML, etc., which allows detailed optimizations, so that the user has the best possible experience with respect to speed.
This tool is for expert levels, since it is a performance testing website, in this case for blogs, intended mainly for developers. Just to configure it, it consists of a large number of test locations to choose from, and in the default location, also a large variety of devices to use.
How you will see the optimization of a blog with SEO strategies goes beyond the content, however, we do not doubt that with these recommendations your site will improve considerably.