How to do SEO on LinkedIn?by Moises Hamui
LinkedIn is one of the most popular and used professional social networks in the world.
It allows you to create and maintain your professional profile, connect with other professionals in your sector or interests you, search for and offer job opportunities, share and consume valuable content, and much more.
Within this social network you can also implement SEO to improve your visibility and thus reach potential clients or recruiters. Know how.
What is the positioning (SEO) of LinkedIn?
LinkedIn positioning (SEO) is the process of optimizing your professional profile so that it appears in the first results of searches carried out by other users on this social network.
In this way, you can increase your visibility and attract more job opportunities, contacts, clients or partners.
What is the LinkedIn algorithm and how does it work?
LinkedIn's algorithm is the set of rules that determines what content is shown to each user in their feed, based on their interests, preferences, and behavior.
The algorithm aims to offer a personalized and relevant experience to each user, showing them the content that can provide the most professional value.
The LinkedIn algorithm works in four steps:
- The first step is an automatic filter that classifies content into three categories: spam, low quality, or clear . Content deemed spam or low-quality will be removed or penalized, while clear content will move on to the next step.
- The second step is an engagement test, which measures the interaction that the content generates among users . The algorithm evaluates the number and quality of comments, reactions, and shares the content receives, as well as the time users spend viewing it. Content that has a good level of engagement will move on to the next step.
- The third step is an estimate of the true virality probability , which is based on the interaction history of the content author and their audience. The algorithm analyzes the author's profile, his level of activity, his number of contacts and his reputation. It also analyzes the profile of the users who interact with the content, their degree of connection with the author and their relevance to the topic. Content that has a high probability of actual virality will move on to the next step.
- The fourth step is a human review , which is done by a team of editors who check the quality and appropriateness of the content. Publishers can confirm, modify or reject the algorithm's ranking, and can give feedback to the content author to improve its performance.
How to do SEO on LinkedIn?
To achieve a good positioning (SEO) on LinkedIn, you must take into account several aspects, such as:
Choose the keywords you want to be found for
Keywords are the terms users use to search LinkedIn for people, companies, or content related to their interest. For example, if someone searches for “digital marketing specialist”, they are likely to want to find professionals who are dedicated to that activity.
Therefore, if you are one of them, you should use that keyword in your profile, so that the LinkedIn algorithm shows you as a relevant result.
To choose the best keywords for your profile, you can use tools like [Google Keyword Planner] or [Ubersuggest], which let you know the search volume, competition, and difficulty of each term.
Repeat your keywords several times in your profile
- The title is the first thing users see when searching on LinkedIn, so it should be clear, concise, and contain your main keyword.
- The extract is a short introduction about yourself, where you can summarize your background, your goals and your values, also using your keywords.
- Experiences are the section where you can detail your work history, highlighting your achievements and results, and using action verbs and keywords.
- Aptitudes are skills that you possess that you can demonstrate with tests or endorsements. You must choose the most relevant to your sector and your keywords, and order them according to their importance.
Complete your profile to the fullest
- Training is the section where you can indicate your academic level, the courses you have taken and the certifications you have obtained.
- Achievements are the recognitions or prizes you have received for your work or for your participation in an activity.
- The projects are the works or initiatives in which you have collaborated or led, and which can serve as a sample of your experience and quality. The recommendations are the testimonials that other users write about you, assessing your professional or personal performance.
Customize your profile URL
Create and share valuable content
Expand your network of contacts
Written by Moises Hamui Abadi: I am an entrepreneur, founding partner of Viceversa and SoyMacho. After being in charge of several digital businesses and advising several other businesses; I decided to form MHA Consulting, a digital marketing consultancy dedicated to growing and empowering digital businesses in more than 7 countries and generating more than 1,500 million pesos.
If you want more information on this topic or you are looking for other options to profile your ideal client, at MHA you will find the solution you need. Schedule a call.