What is an advertising network and types that exist
An ad network is a platform that connects advertisers with publishers who have spaces available to display ads on their websites, apps, or social networks .
Its objective is to facilitate the buying and selling of online advertising, offering advertisers the possibility of reaching their target audience and publishers the opportunity to monetize their traffic.
How does an advertising network work?
The operation of an advertising network is based on three main elements: the advertiser, the publisher and the network.
The advertiser is the person or company that wants to promote its product or service through online ads. The advertiser provides the advertising network with the ads they want to show, the budget they want to spend, the segmentation they want to apply and the objectives they want to achieve.
The publisher is the person or company that has a website, app, or social network where you can display ads. The publisher registers with the advertising network and offers its inventory of advertising spaces, indicating the characteristics and price of each one.
The advertising network is the intermediary that is responsible for matching the advertiser's ads with the publisher's spaces, according to the criteria of both. The advertising network is also responsible for managing payment between the parties, measuring ad performance, and providing reporting and analysis.
What advantages does an advertising network have?
Advertising networks offer a series of advantages for both advertisers and publishers, including the following:
- For advertisers, ad networks allow them to access a wide variety of websites, apps and social networks where they can display their ads, without having to deal directly with each publisher. This way, they can expand their reach, optimize their budget, and improve their return on investment.
- For publishers, ad networks make it easier for them to sell their advertising space, without having to actively seek out advertisers. This way, they can make the most of their traffic, generate passive income, and diversify their monetization sources.
What types of advertising networks exist?
There are different types of advertising networks depending on the format, model or focus of the ads they offer. Some of the most common types are:
Display advertising networks
These are those that offer graphic ads, such as banners, videos or rich media, that are displayed on publishers' websites or applications. These ads are usually aimed at generating brand awareness , traffic, or conversions.
Search advertising networks
They are those that offer text ads, which are displayed in the results of search engines, such as Google or Bing. These ads usually aim to capture the purchase intent of users looking for a specific product or service.
Social media advertising networks
They are those that offer ads that are integrated into social media platforms, such as Facebook , Instagram or Twitter. These ads usually aim to take advantage of the profile, behavior and interactions of users to generate engagement, leads or sales.
Native ad networks
They are those that offer ads that adapt to the content , design and context of the websites or applications where they are displayed, creating a more natural and less intrusive experience for users. These advertisements usually aim to generate trust, credibility and added value.
How to choose an advertising network?
When choosing an advertising network, it is important to take into account a series of factors that can influence the success of the advertising campaign , such as:
- The size and quality of the network : refers to the number and type of websites, applications and social networks that are part of the advertising network, as well as the level of traffic, audience and reputation they have. The bigger and better the network, the more likely you are to find the right ad space for your ad.
- Ad formats and models : refers to the options offered by the advertising network to create and display ads, as well as the payment methods it establishes. The more varied and flexible the formats and models, the more possibilities there will be to adapt the advertisement to the needs and objectives of the advertiser.
- Network conditions and requirements : refers to the rules and limitations that the advertising network imposes to participate in it, both for advertisers and publishers. These may include the minimum budget, approval time, available segmentation, possible follow-up, support offered, etc. The clearer and more favorable the conditions and requirements, the easier it will be to work with the advertising network.
Advertising networks are a key tool for digital marketing , since they allow you to optimize the reach, budget and return on investment of advertising campaigns, as well as generate passive income and diversify the sources of monetization of digital content.
Written by Moises Hamui Abadi : I am an entrepreneur, founding partner of Viceversa and SoyMacho. After leading several digital businesses and advising several other businesses; I decided to form MHA Consulting, a digital marketing consultancy dedicated to growing and enhancing digital businesses in more than 7 countries and generating more than 1,500 million pesos.